New Year Cleaning Resolutions and Checklists
Who doesn't want to kickstart their New Year with a clean and organized home! If your New Years' resolutions include decluttering and getting your house clean and organized, then you've come to the right place.
We'll show you some New Year's cleaning resolutions you can make that will help keep your home looking great, all year long.
Top 4 New Year's Cleaning Resolutions:
- Build a daily cleaning routine. The secret to a clean house is to spend 15-30 minutes tidying up each day, so you stay clutter-free.
- Get the whole family involved! Once you decide what needs to be included in your everyday cleaning routine, assign age-appropriate chores to kids. Things like making the bed, putting away dishes, picking up toys and clothes, etc. It's a great way to build responsibility, while taking some of the burden off yourself.
- Map out weekly and monthly cleaning checklists. Don't let dirt build up to the point it becomes overwhelming. Tackle a little every week/month to keep things clean, fresh, and germ-free.
- Plan for seasonal deep cleaning sessions. Most cleaning experts recommend a good spring-cleaning session and another deep cleaning session before the holidays.
Daily Cleaning Routine:
Spending a few minutes each day taking care of routine chores can have a huge impact on the look and feel of your home.
By making a New Year's cleaning resolution to get in the habit of tidying up daily, you'll stay on top of clutter and messes. That way cleaning won't ever feel too overwhelming.
- Make the bed. This is a great way to start your day and it gives you a feeling of accomplishment first thing, which can set you up for success. Plus, there's nothing like coming home at night to a well-made, inviting looking bed.
- Do the dishes. Loading the dishwasher daily keeps food from sticking and prevents rotten smells from developing.
- Pick up clutter. Do a quick walk-through of your house each night and pick up any dirty clothes, toys, books, papers, etc. that are laying around and put them back where they belong. This is a great way to stay on top of clutter! And keep your house looking neat and tidy.
- Clean as you cook. Rather than letting pots, pans, spices, and other ingredients pile up - wash or put them away immediately to keep your kitchen in order.
- Wipe down counters and sinks. These are the areas where spills happen daily, wipe them down with Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner while they're still fresh. It's almost always easier to remove spills or stains if you address them right away.
- Sort the mail. Keep baskets by the door or on a desk for easy sorting. Throw out any junk mail right away, and don't let bills or other important documents get lost or remain unopened for too long.
Weekly Cleaning Checklist:
Some tasks need only be done weekly to keep your house looking its best. Consider adding these items to a weekend clean-up checklist.
- Vacuum carpets and clean your hardwood floors.
- Remove dirt and dust from places that collect them such as coffee tables, mantles, bookshelves, furniture, etc.
- Empty out the trash from your kitchen, bathroom, office, and bedrooms.
- Change your sheets and pillowcases.
- Clean your bathroom, including your bathtub, glass shower doors, bathroom floors, and chrome fixtures.
- Tackle any soap scum that has built up in sinks, showers, or tubs.
- Clean appliances, including your toaster oven and microwave.
Monthly Cleaning Checklist:
Any good New Year's cleaning resolution list will include a checklist of monthly cleanup tasks. These are the items you want to clean regularly, just not every week.
- Disinfect germy areas, such as bathrooms, trash cans, kitchens, and high touch surfaces (door knobs, light switches, keyboards, etc.). Be sure to use a product designed specifically for disinfecting, such as Simple Green dPRO3 Plus or Clean Finish.
- Clean your refrigerator. Discard old, out of date items. Then take out the shelves and bins and give them a thorough washing.
- Clean any dirty windows or sliding glass doors with Simple Green Glass Cleaner.
- Dust mini-blinds and light fixtures.
- Clean your bedding, comforter/duvet covers, and pillows.
Seasonal Deep Cleaning Checklist:
Maintaining a regular daily, weekly, and monthly cleaning schedule will keep your home looking and smelling great. Plus, it can reduce the spread of illness causing germs and bacteria on surfaces.
But every once in a while, you'll want to go big and do a deep cleaning session to tackle those hidden areas where dirt and grime can build up over time. Most cleaning professionals suggest a Spring Cleaning and Pre-Holiday Cleaning session to be sure dirt, mold, dust, and debris don't have a place to hide.
- Move furniture and vacuum or clean the floor beneath.
- Wash your windows thoroughly, including windowsills which can build up a layer of dirt over time
- Vacuum and turn your mattress.
- Using the hose attachment, vacuum out air vents and filters.
- Clean ceiling fans and any overhead light fixtures that might collect dirt such as chandeliers.
- Clean out your chimney and fireplace.
- Give your deck or patio a thorough cleaning.