How to Clean Patio Cushions
How to Clean Patio Cushions
Patio furniture with fabric or cloth cushions are prime stain spots, whether from dirt, bird droppings, tree sap or mildew. This is particularly true if your cushions sit out in the elements unprotected.
If your outdoor cushions don't have removable covers that can be put in the washing machine, pressure washing is often the easiest method for cleaning. It's much easier and less time-consuming than hand-washing or using a garden hose.
Simple Green Oxy Solve Total Outdoor Cleaner is a pressure washer concentrate that utilizes the natural power of peroxide to remove grime and eliminate tough stains and discolorations. It is orally non-toxic and readily biodegradable*, and doesn't contain harsh chemicals which can damage fabric fibers and harm landscaping, lawns or plants. It is also safe for wood, concrete and stone so you don't need to worry about runoff damaging your deck or patio.
- Clear surrounding area: Make sure your area is free of exposed electrical components, and close any nearby windows and doors. Simple Green Oxy Solve Total Outdoor Cleaner's safer formula doesn't require you to cover surrounding lawns, trees or flower beds before use.
- Connect pressure washer to water: Attach your pressure washer to a water source and make sure the PSI is at the lowest possible setting to avoid tearing any fabric.
- Add Simple Green Oxy Solve: Pour Simple Green Oxy Solve into the detergent reservoir, or feed the line into the bottle, depending on the soap intake setup of your pressure washer.
- Attach tip to pressure washer wand: Attach the 65° spray tip to your pressure washer wand. If you have an adjustable tip, put it in low pressure mode.
- Wet cushions with water: Make sure cushions are attached to the furniture securely. Using just water, wet the cushion from top to bottom. Hold the pressure washer wand firmly with both hands, keeping the nozzle at least two feet from the surface. Start further out and work your way in as needed.
- Apply Simple Green Oxy Solve Total Outdoor Cleaner: Work in horizontal sweeping motions, keeping the wand moving.
- Allow solution to sit: Leave the cleaning solution on the surface for 2-3 minutes to lift and dissolve dirt, stains and grime. Take care not to let your fabric dry during this time. If it's hot outside, mist the surface with more Simple Green Oxy Solve.
- Scrub if necessary: Use a soft bristle brush to scrub any areas with extensive buildup or staining. This allows the cleaner to penetrate even deeper into fabric fibers.
- Rinse with plain water: Rinse the cushions either with your current 65°, low pressure tip or swap to a slightly higher pressure 40° tip. Again, keep the wand at least 2 feet from the surface, starting further out and working your way in as needed. Rinse from top to bottom.
- Remove excess water: After rinsing, press on the cushions to remove excess water. If they're removable, gently wring the fabric out and place or hang cushions where they can dry.
- Air Dry: Allow cushions to air dry completely before using.
TIP: Although water, stains and dirt are obvious threats to patio furniture, you should also be cautious of the sun's harmful rays. If possible, store your outdoor furniture indoors when the summer season is over.
*Proud to be an Orally Non-Toxic and Readily Biodegradable formula per The Globally Harmonized System of Classification & Labelling of Chemicals and per OECD 301D testing.