How to Clean Artificial Grass (Dog Urine)
Artificial grass is beloved by dog owners, providing a usable, dirt-free space for pets to play and do their business any time of year.
Most dog owners don't often clean their artificial grass, believing the rain will do it for them. Unfortunately, when urine trickles through the blades of synthetic turf, it seeps under the grass, and coagulates between the bottom of the grass carpet and the weed barrier beneath it. As buildup accumulates, the dog urine smell intensifies.
The stench can linger long after the liquid has been disposed of. It can last for months unless treated properly. Many products just mask the smell, but to really get rid of the odor you need to eliminate it at the source.
To get urine smells out of artificial turf, you'll need a cleaning product with enzymes and live bacteria that break down the source of those tough ammonia odors. Simple Green Outdoor Odor Eliminator uses safe, naturally-occurring bacterial microbes that eliminate odors at the source.
Directions for Removing Dog Urine from Artificial Grass
For best results, use product during cooler times of day such as dawn or dusk.
- Clear area. Remove any solid waste from the area. Keep pets out of area during application.
- Connect hose. Shake bottle of Simple Green Outdoor Odor Eliminator well. Point the nozzle away from your face and attach your hose to back end of the sprayer.
- Apply product. Turn on the water slowly using low to moderate water pressure. Push the safety tab forward toward hose and turn nozzle control clockwise to "On” position. Spray down the area.
- Let sit for 10 minutes. For stubborn areas, scrub the affected area with a scrub brush, before allowing the product to sit for 10 minutes to penetrate the artificial grass. Avoid letting it dry during this time, as the longer it stays damp, the longer the bacteria have to digest the organic soils. In windy or warmer conditions you may need to lightly mist the area you're cleaning with more odor eliminator, to prevent quick evaporation.
- Allow to dry. Repeat if necessary.
Tip: A weekly cleaning schedule is recommended to prevent heavy buildup of urine and odors. Applying this product at dusk allows it a longer time to stay damp and active. You can also lightly mist the treated area with water to reactivate and get additional deodorizing action.