Cleaning the exterior siding of your home at least once a year will keep it looking better, extend its lifespan and prevent costly replacement needs.
Aluminum is rot-proof, termite-proof, waterproof and corrosion-resistant, allowing it to withstand years of exposure to the elements. It also insulates a home better than vinyl siding and can save homeowners a considerable amount on heating and cooling costs. With a bit of preventative maintenance, this type of siding is more likely to be trouble-free for many years to come.
A popular home improvement cleaner, especially for outdoor power washing projects, used to be trisodium phosphate (TSP). Working with TSP can pose dangers to personal health and the environment. The cleaner is alkaline enough to cause skin irritation and even burns. Additionally, if it ends up in lakes and streams, the phosphates can trigger an overgrowth of algae that results in a depletion of oxygen levels in the water, endangering fish and aquatic plant life.
Cleaning aluminum siding can be a quick and easy task, and Simple Green Oxy Solve House and Siding Cleaner can help make it even easier. It uses peroxide to brighten and renew surfaces without bleach, while removing dirt and stains from mold, mildew, moss, algae, chalking and more. Use it for hand cleaning or in your pressure washer on aluminum siding as well as stucco, wood, brick and vinyl siding. This EPA Safer Choice Direct Release formula also helps keep the environment healthy while beautifying your home.
Clean your aluminum siding at least once a year.
Directions for Cleaning Dirty Aluminum Siding
- Mix your Simple Green solution. In a large bucket or container, mix 1 ½ cups of Simple Green Oxy Solve House and Siding Cleaner in a gallon of water.
- Wet. Wet a section of siding with your garden hose.
- Apply solution and scrub. Use a soft-bristle brush to apply the cleaning solution section-by-section, scrubbing firmly enough to clean without damaging the siding surface. You can purchase an extendable brush specifically for cleaning siding, or use a long pool broom. Don’t allow the product to dry on the surface. Scrub from the bottom of the section to the top.
- Rinse with your hose, starting at the top of each section and rinsing downward.
Pressure Washer Application
Use caution when pressure washing around openings like windows, doors, and plumbing connections. Work in sections so that the rinse step can be reached before the cleaner dries on the surface, as it will be harder to rinse away.
- Wet. Hose down the surface.
- Fill detergent tank. Pour full-strength Simple Green Oxy Solve House and Siding Cleaner into your power washer detergent tank, or drop your siphon tube into the product bottle.
- Apply Simple Green. Apply Simple Green Oxy Solve onto the siding in sections from bottom to top, using a low-pressure setting and a 25-40 degree nozzle tip. Make sure your pressure washer nozzle is pointed at the siding in a downward angle, keeping a minimum of 18 inches from the surface to avoid driving water beneath or behind the siding. Do not allow the product to dry on the surface.
- Rinse. Rinse well with high pressure water from top to bottom, again taking care to avoid spraying upward or too closely.
Be sure to check your warranty beforehand. Always follow the manufacturer's recommendation on proper cleaning and storage practices.