How to Clean Urine from a Mattress
When it comes to kids' mattresses, stains are just a fact of life. From wetting the bed to spilled drinks and more, there's a stain for just about every occasion in your child's daily adventures.
Mattress fabric has a tendency to hold on to urine stains, and removing them can be difficult, but it's not impossible. From stain removal to regular cleaning, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner is an ideal cleaner and deodorizer for getting the accident spots and mystery smells out of your mattress.
If you have access to a carpet cleaning machine, they're great for removing pee stains, dust mites, dead skin cells and dirt from mattresses. If you don't own one, they can be rented from a local hardware store.
Before you begin, be sure to check your mattress warranty for best practices, and to prevent voiding your coverage. When in doubt about a surface, always spot test first.
- Remove any solids and absorb any liquid with a paper towel.
- Mix 1 oz. of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner per 1 cup of water (a 1:8 ratio) in an empty spray bottle.
- Lightly spray the solution onto the stain. Do not oversaturate the mattress, as this can result in mold or mildew growth. Allow 1-2 minutes for the solution to penetrate the soil, without letting it dry.
- Gently rub and blot with a paper towel or absorbent cloth.
- Air dry before covering.
CARPET CLEANING MACHINE
Before you begin, be sure to check you carpet cleaning machine warranty.
- Mix a 1:8 ratio of Simple Green and water to fill your carpet machine's detergent reservoir. For carpet cleaning machines without a detergent reservoir, mix a 1:10 ratio of Simple Green to water in the onboard solution tank.
- Apply the solution onto the mattress in sections using the hand attachment on the carpet cleaning machine, according to the manufacturer's instructions. Do not oversaturate the mattress, as this can result in mold or mildew.
- For tough stains, agitate the affected area by gently brushing the area (a soft nylon brush works best).
- Extract with the carpet machine and clean water. If necessary, add a small amount of white vinegar to reduce foaming in the recovery tank.
- Allow the area to dry completely before covering.
Bonus tip: Vacuum your mattress regularly to prevent dust build-up, and flip & rotate your mattress every 3 months to help it wear more evenly.
Available at these and other local stores: