If you have pets that shed, or spend part of their days outdoors, daily sweeping and spot-cleaning of your household floors is just a fact of life. For common spills such as food or water, a damp cloth or paper towel will usually do the trick. But a weekly mopping schedule will help prevent your floors from accumulating unsightly dirt, grime, hair, pet dander and more.
Before your weekly mopping, it's important to sweep up any dust, dirt or pet hair, to avoid simply spreading the debris around. Additionally, with regularly scheduled mop and bucket cleaning, it's important not to use a soap that leaves behind a sticky residue which can trap more dirt.
Your floors are likely made from one or more of the following materials: vinyl, ceramic tile, laminate or wood. If you have a newer wood floor or a specialty surface, be sure to comply with any warranty directions concerning care and cleaning. But no matter the dirty surface, there's no need for harsh cleaners to get the job done well.
When cleaning floors, it's important to use a cleaner that won't damage any existing finish or the surface of the flooring material. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner is great for cleaning up residue pets may leave behind and tackling dirty areas without degrading the finish of your flooring with like vinegar or other acidic chemicals. Plus, it's biodegradable*, and a safer cleaning alternative for surfaces where children and pets play.
It's equally important, especially on wood floors, that you don't mop with too wet of a mop, which could cause fluid to seep between planks and warp flooring, dull the surface or encourage mold growth. A traditional cotton mop will only expedite this process and push dirty water back into any pores which may exist in the flooring material. A damp microfiber mop absorbs the dirty soil into its fibers instead of pushing it around the surface.
Directions for How To Clean Pet Floors:
- Sweep the floor to clear any topical dust, dirt and debris.
- Prepare cleaning solution. Mix 1 oz. of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner with 4 cups of water and lightly mist the solution onto the floor in sections. Use a damp microfiber mop to spread the solution.
- Don't over-wet the surface or let the liquid pool.
- Scrub any problem areas or dirty spots with a soft bristle brush.
- Damp mop away any remaining dirt or residue.
- Dry each section with a dry cloth after cleaning, or allow to air dry.