HOW TO DISINFECT DOOR HANDLES AND LIGHT SWITCHES
Some of the most bacteria-covered spots in your home are the ones you use most often, such as door handles and light switches. These frequent-contact surfaces allow easy transmission of cold, flu virus, E. Coli, Salmonella, Norovirus and more in your household, particularly when the average person's hands carry at least 3,000 different germs*.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that adults catch an average of 2-3 colds each year, with children contracting even more. Illness-causing bacteria can sometimes survive on hard surfaces for weeks, so cleaning won't suffice. A twice-weekly schedule of disinfecting is important to keep harmful bacteria at bay, and more frequently during cold and flu season.
People commonly use disinfecting wipes because they seem convenient, but they often require that surfaces remain wet for up to 10 minutes in order to be effective, and keeping a surface wet with disinfecting wipes can be more difficult than you might think. Many of them contain alcohol, which can cause the liquid to dry quickly. This can make it difficult to keep the surface wet without re-wiping multiple times, resulting in a potential waste of both time and money.
A fast-acting spray-application disinfectant will allow you to disinfect the hard-to-reach areas that wipes can't, and ensures that the surface remains wet for the proper time so germs are, in fact, killed. An EPA-registered disinfectant can eliminate cold, flu, E. Coli, Salmonella, Staph and other illness-causing bacteria in 2 minutes or less, remaining wet and active on hard, non-porous surfaces long enough to do its intended job.
- Remove gross filth or heavy soil prior to application of Simple Green Clean Finish Disinfectant Cleaner.
- Apply product with a hand pump trigger sprayer. Hold sprayer six to eight inches from the surface to be treated.
- Spray area until it is covered with the product.
- Allow surface to remain wet for 2 minutes. No scrubbing necessary.
- Allow treated surfaces to air dry or wipe off with clean cloth.