- Microwave-safe bowl
- Paper towels or cloths
Cleaning a microwave isn't difficult, but it's a task often put off until after an oatmeal eruption or spaghetti sauce splatter has sat through a couple of heating cycles. The neglected spots and smears turn into seemingly permanent problem areas that you don't even want to try to tackle with dish soap and the scrubby side of your sponge.
That brings us to our next hurdle: finding a cleaning product that will actually work but won't leave dangerous chemicals behind to later be absorbed by your food. Cleaning a microwave with vinegar, baking soda, or lemon juice just pushes dirt around instead of actually cleaning. These highly recommended natural cleaners lack the surfactants needed to help penetrate, loosen, and trap soils.
The best way to clean a microwave is with a product that powers out grime, cuts through grease and oil, and removes difficult stains without caustic chemicals - enter Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner. The formula degreases and deodorizes in addition to cleaning, so you can get rid of greasy build-up and leftover food smells in one step.
Even though you'd rather not add one more thing to your to-do list, it's best to wipe down the inside of your microwave with a damp sponge or cloth after each use. You only need to deep clean the appliance once every few weeks following the directions below.
Directions for Cleaning a Microwave:
TIP: Before you start, soak a clean sponge with fresh water and place it in a microwave-safe bowl. Be sure the sponge is as saturated as possible. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. The steam created by heating the sponge will soften and loosen caked-on grime. After the 2 minutes, let the sponge sit in the microwave for a couple more minutes until the warm water is cool enough to handle. Open the microwave and carefully remove the bowl and rinse the sponge. Squeeze out most of the water in the sponge and get to cleaning!
- Wash the removable tray and rotating rack. Remove the inside tray and, if possible, the rotating rack it sits on. Thoroughly spray the same sponge you used in Step 1 with Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner and wipe both components down. Then wash just as you would normally, rinse, and allow the pieces to dry.
- Clean the inside of the microwave. Generously spray more Simple Green onto the same sponge and wipe down the entire inside, including the microwave door. Follow up with damp paper towels or a damp cloth, then leave the door open to let the inside air dry.
- Clean the outside of the microwave. Repeat the process from Step 2.
- Replace the removable pieces. Place the clean, dry rack and tray back in the microwave.
- Air dry. Leave the door open for an hour after you finish cleaning to allow the inside to dry completely.