How to Clean BBQ Grills
The outdoor barbecuing experience is a time-honored tradition in backyards around the globe. But keeping your grill clean can be a challenge, with marinade splatter, burger grease and accumulated leftover chunks of charred food on your grates. Simple Green is here to help! Follow these simple steps to help you keep your gas grill in great working order for years to come.
What You Need
- Simple Green Heavy Duty BBQ & Grill Cleaner
- Grill brush
- Cleaning cloths or paper towels
Make sure your grill is cool before cleaning. Lay out newspaper in your work station to keep the area clean, as you'll need to disassemble your grill to thoroughly clean it.
- Turn off the gas supply (for gas grills). Then detach the gas tank from the grill (optional).
- Grill grates: Remove the grill grates and coat them with Simple Green, then leave them on the newspapers to soak for several minutes. Scrub away any grimy buildup using your grill brush or other coarse cleaning brush, making sure to scrub both sides of the grates. Rinse well.
- Burner covers & tubes (for gas grills): Remove any burner tubes and burner plates or coverings including V-shaped metal bars, ceramic briquettes, or lava stones. Spray them with Simple Green and let sit for several minutes, then scrub clean. Rinse thoroughly.
- Bottom of the grill or drip pan: Grease and chunks of food tend to accumulate under the burners, so use a paper towel to wipe out any gunk buildup at the bottom of the grill. Then coat the area with Simple Green, and allow the foam to sit for several minutes to penetrate heavy grease & carbon residue. Wipe out thoroughly and rinse.
- Underside of lid: Coat the area with Simple Green, and use a scrub brush to remove any accumulated debris, being careful not to scratch the surface. Wipe out and rinse thoroughly.
- Put the grill back together: Put all the parts of the grill back together, reconnect the propane tank, and set your burners on high for 5 minutes to burn off any remaining residue.
- Outside of the grill (optional): Spray Simple Green along the outside of your entire grill, and wipe down with a clean cloth or paper towel. You can also use Simple Green Stainless Steel One-Step Cleaner & Polish to give the outside of your grill a beautiful, polished finish.
Available at these and other local stores: