How to Clean a Toaster
What You Need
- Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner
- Empty spray bottle
- Toothbrush, paintbrush, or pastry brush
- Microfiber cloths
- Cotton swab
Bagels, waffles, even veggie burgers - this trusty kitchen appliance does it all. Unfortunately, "doing it all" does not include cleaning itself inside and out. If your toaster leaves a trail of crumbs behind when you move it around the countertop, it may be time for a quick cleaning.
Popular kitchen cleaning products, such as dish soap or baking soda, can be ineffective against grease and oils that can build up on the exterior. Commercial oven cleaners, on the other hand, are often a caustic mixture of various chemicals, including lye and petroleum distillates.
Lastly, avoid spraying cleaners directly into or on your toaster oven, as chemical residue from overspray can get inside and wind up on your next serving of toast, or drip down and damage the electrical components.
Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner powers out grime and cuts through food messes without caustic chemicals. The formula degreases and deodorizes in addition to cleaning, so you can get rid of greasy buildup and leftover food smells in one quick step.
Directions for Cleaning a Toaster:
Before cleaning, please consult the Owner's Manual for any important precautions, instructions or warranty requirements.
- Unplug the toaster. Make sure your toaster is unplugged and cool to the touch before cleaning.
- Remove the crumb tray and shake out the toaster. If there's a removable crumb tray, slide it out of the base of the toaster, shake out the crumbs, and set the tray aside. Hold the toaster over a sink or trash can and shake it to dislodge any loose crumbs or chunks of toast that have settled at the bottom or are trapped in the wire coils. Gently tap the side of the toaster to help removal. For any crumbs that won't shake free, use a clean, dry toothbrush, paintbrush, or pastry brush to dislodge them.
- Mix your Simple Green solution. Mix ¼ cup of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner with 2 cups of water in an empty spray bottle.
- Apply your Simple Green solution. Spray your Simple Green solution onto a microfiber cloth to clean the toaster oven tray and wipe down the entire outer surface of the toaster, including the handle. You can use a Simple Green-dampened cotton swab to get into and around any small surface areas such as buttons or knobs
- Rinse. Damp-wipe the outside of the toaster and crumb tray with a soft cloth, microfiber, or paper towels.
- Dry. Use a dry cloth or microfiber towel to wipe away any remaining moisture.
- Replace the crumb tray. Once dry, slide the crumb tray back into place, and plug in your toaster.