How to Clean a Microwave
Cleaning your microwave may seem like a tough task to tackle because it usually involves a lot of elbow grease. After letting the oatmeal eruption or the spaghetti sauce spatter sit through a couple of heating cycles, the spots and smears turn rock hard and are seemingly impossible to remove.
Another potential challenge is finding a product that thoroughly cleans the mess without leaving dangerous chemicals behind. Some highly recommended natural cleaners like white vinegar and lemon juice lack the surfactants needed to help penetrate, loosen, and trap soils, meaning you're pushing dirt around instead of actually cleaning. Simple Green Ready-To-Use All-Purpose Cleaner's non-toxic formula powers out grime, cuts through grease and oil, and removes difficult stains without bleach or harsh chemicals.
To keep your microwave working better longer, try to wipe down the inside after each use. Deep clean the inside and outside once every few weeks following the directions below.
- Steam: Place a clean, wet sponge inside and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Be sure the sponge is as saturated as possible. The steam created by heating the sponge will soften and loosen caked-on grime. After the 2 minutes, let the sponge sit in the microwave for a couple more minutes until it's cool enough to handle. Carefully remove the sponge and rinse it. Squeeze out some of the water in the sponge.
- Wash the removable tray and rotating rack: Remove the inside tray and, if possible, the rotating rack it sits on. Thoroughly spray the same sponge you used in Step 1 with Simple Green Ready-To-Use All-Purpose Cleaner. Wash as you would normally under hot water, rinse, and allow the pieces to dry.
- Clean the inside of the microwave: Generously spray Simple Green Ready-To-Use All-Purpose Cleaner onto the sponge and wipe down the entire inside. Follow up with a clean, damp cloth, then dry with a dry cloth or paper towels, or let air dry.
- Clean the outside of the microwave: Repeat the process from Step 3.
- Replace the removable pieces: Place the clean, dry rack and tray back in the microwave.
- Air dry: Leave the door open for a few hours after you finish cleaning to allow the inside to dry completely.