How to Clean a Blender
What You Need
- Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner
- Half a lemon
- Sponge or scrub brush
- Dish soap
- Paper towels
We love how quickly our blenders allow us to whip up nutritious smoothies, zesty salad dressings, and smooth purees, but cleaning up the dirty blender aftermath seems like anything but quick and convenient. The small components and bulky carafe can be unwieldy, while the sharp blades can be tricky to maneuver around.
To avoid the need for frequent deep cleaning, you should thoroughly rinse your blender immediately after each use. Food particles and sticky liquids will be far easier to remove from your blender’s nooks and crannies if they don’t have the chance to dry on the surface before washing.
The often-recommended DIY options, such as rubbing alcohol or baking soda, may not be strong enough degreasers to carry away any stubborn, stuck-on food.
For lingering residue or to deodorize and deep clean, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can help. The formula powers out grime, cuts through grease and oils, and removes stubborn stains without bleach. The scented formula deodorizes without leaving behind a residue that could be absorbed by whatever concoction you decide to blend up next.
If your blender is still under warranty, check your owner's manual for any precautions.
Directions for Cleaning a Blender:
For deodorizing and light cleaning:
- Add water. Fill your blender halfway with warm water.
- Add half a lemon. Cut half of a lemon into small slices and add to your blender.
- Add 1 oz. of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner.
- Run blender. Place the lid on and run the blender on high for 60 seconds.
- Empty blender. Pour out the contents and rinse with hot water, using a sponge or scrub brush to eliminate any visible build-up.
- Wash. Hand wash or add the carafe to the dishwasher as usual.
TIP: Pour out the contents into your running garbage disposal to deodorize.
For deep cleaning:
- Unplug the blender and disassemble. Remove the blender from the base and unscrew the bottom component. Remove the gasket seal and the blade.
- Apply Simple Green. Rinse out the blender carafe, and spray with Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner.
- Scrub. Use a sponge or scrub brush to clear away any build-up, cleaning the carafe inside and out.
- Clean small pieces. Separate lid pieces, rinse, and spray with Simple Green. Scrub away any build-up and rinse.
- Soak small pieces. Add 1 oz. of Simple Green per 1 cup of water. Add the gasket seal, cutting blades, and locking ring to the jar. Allow it to sit for 1-2 minutes.
- Rinse small pieces. Rinse thoroughly, scrubbing all components.
- Wash. Wash the carafe, lid, gasket, seal, cutting blades, and locking ring with soap and hot water as usual.
- Clean the base and motor housing. Spray Simple Green on a paper towel, and wipe down the motor and base of the blender. Never submerge the motor/base in water, or place it in the dishwasher. Remember to wipe down the cord periodically with a damp cloth lightly sprayed with Simple Green and check it for damage.
- Air dry.
- Reassemble the blender.