How to Clean Makeup Sponges
How to Clean Makeup Sponges
Whether you're a makeup artist or an everyday beauty guru, a makeup sponge is one of the most useful beauty tools. What makes the device so popular is its plush material that eliminates streakiness and makes makeup truly look like a second skin.
Between makeup application and rolling around in a makeup bag, makeup sponges are magnets for leftover product, oil, dead skin cells, and other debris. Over time, your makeup tools can become drier and abrasive as makeup and other materials are caked on them, causing ineffective product application and more severe matters like skin irritation, acne, and infections.
Household staples like dish soap and bar soap are not the best ways to clean makeup sponges, as they can dry out and damage the texture. Other products like vinegar and olive oil may leave lingering smells or oily residue that you may not want to mix in with facial products.
Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner is non-abrasive and non-corrosive, so it will deep clean without ruining your sponges or applicators. The hard-working cleaner is also a degreaser, which can work wonders in expelling oily products like foundations, concealers, cream contours, and blushes. It's also non-toxic* and clean rinsing, so you don't need to worry about cleaner residue causing skin irritation or mixing with your makeup products.
Ideally, it would be best if you were at least rinsing your makeup sponge after every use, but make sure you deep clean dirty sponges once a week - possibly more depending on how frequently you use them.
It's normal for the color of your sponge to fade a bit with regular use, but if it gets to the point of makeup remnants discoloring the sponge entirely - even with regular cleanings - it's probably time for a replacement. Otherwise, the buildup may cause makeup to appear discolored or apply unevenly. Replace your makeup sponge after three months of use if you use it daily.
Directions for Cleaning Makeup Sponges
- Prepare your Simple Green solution. Mix one cup of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner with one cup of warm water in a bowl or glass.
- Wet sponge. Squeeze your sponge under warm running water, so it expands and soaks up the clean water.
- Wash. Squeeze your sponge again as you place it in your Simple Green solution to absorb the cleaner.
- Soak. Leave the sponge to soak in the solution for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse. Take your sponge out of the solution and rinse it again under warm running water. Continue to squeeze it and soak up clean water until it stops sudsing, and the water runs clear. Never wring out your sponge, as the twisting motion could cause the material to tear or wear out quicker.
- Let air dry. Do not store your sponge in a closed bag or drawer until it is completely dry. The trapped moisture will encourage bacteria and mold to grow.
TIP: Store your sponge in a ventilated case to prevent it from taking on additional buildup and stains between cleanings.
TIP: For directions on how to clean makeup brushes, click here.
*Orally non-toxic formula per the Federal Hazardous Substances Act and the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals.