Whether you're a makeup artist or an everyday beauty guru, a makeup sponge is one of the most useful tools in the beauty arsenal. What makes the tool so popular is its plush material that completely eliminates streakiness and makes makeup truly look like a second skin.
Between makeup application and rolling around in a makeup bag, makeup sponges are magnets for leftover product, oil, dead skin cells and other debris. Over time, your makeup tools can become more dry and abrasive as makeup and other materials are caked on them, causing ineffective product application, as well as more serious matters like skin irritation, acne and infections.
Household staples like dish soap and bar soap can dry out and damage the texture of your sponge. Other products like vinegar and olive oil may leave lingering smells or oily residue that you may not want mixed in with facial products.
Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner is non-abrasive and non-corrosive, so it will deep clean without ruining your sponges or applicators. The hard-working cleaner is also a degreaser, which can work wonders in expelling oily products like foundations, concealers, cream contours and blushes. It's also non-toxic and clean-rinsing so you don't need to worry about cleaner residue causing skin irritation or mixing with your makeup products.
Ideally, you should be at least rinsing your makeup sponge after every use, but make sure you deep clean the sponge once a week - possibly more depending on how frequently you use it.
It's normal for the color of your sponge to fade a bit with regular use, but if it gets to the point of makeup remnants discoloring the sponge entirely - even with regular cleanings - it's probably time for a replacement. Otherwise, the buildup may cause makeup to appear discolored or apply unevenly. Replace your makeup sponge after 3 months of use if you use it on a daily basis.
- Prepare your Simple Green solution. Mix one cup of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner with one cup of warm water in a bowl or glass.
- Wet sponge. Squeeze your sponge under warm running water so it expands and soaks up the clean water.
- Wash. Squeeze your sponge again as you place it in your Simple Green solution so it absorbs the cleaner.
- Soak. Leave the sponge to soak in the solution for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse. Take your sponge out of the solution and rinse it again under warm running water. Continue to squeeze it and let it soak up clean water until it stops sudsing and the water runs clear. Never wring out your sponge, as the twisting motion could cause the material to tear or wear out quicker.
- Let air dry. Do not store your sponge in a closed bag or drawer until it is completely dry. Trapped moisture will encourage bacteria and mold to grow.
TIP: Store your sponge in a ventilated case to prevent it from taking on additional buildup and stains between cleanings.