Restoring dingy tile grout to like-new brightness doesn't require harsh chemicals like bleach, ammonia or vinegar, which can damage your grout and actually create more problems than they solve. Even a steel bristle scrub brush can work against you, scratching and damaging surfaces. This will invite stains and dullness, and lead to diminished appeal of your flooring. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner's non-toxic formula reaches deep into the tiny pores of your grout between tiles, eliminating soils at the source without damaging the grout itself.
- Spray the grout with water. This helps the cleaner to penetrate soils.
- Mix 1 oz. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner to 1 cup of water in a spray bottle, and spray the area down. Allow a few seconds for it to penetrate the pores of your grout.
- Use a toothbrush or soft-bristle brush to scrub the dirty grout areas.
- For heavy-duty grout cleaning jobs, you can use a homemade paste mix of baking soda and Simple Green to pull deeply-embedded soils to the surface. The mix is an easy blend of three parts baking soda to one part Simple Green, which will form a loose paste that you can apply directly to the grout to lift dirt. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for the mixture to penetrate.
- Rinse with clean water. Wipe away any remaining residue with a clean, non-abrasive cloth.