A dirty dog is often a sign of a happy dog, indicating a fun time frolicking outdoors. But cleaning up after those dirty dogs is anything but fun, however necessary it may be to keep the area clean and free of illness-causing bacteria. Regular cleaning of your dog's kennel is a good practice to remove messes and prevent the buildup of dirt, hair and grime.
Harmful bacteria spread quickly in pet kennels, increasing the risk of infection or illness that can sometimes be fatal. Dogs can be particularly prone to illness such as staph, MRSA and even Parvo if they've had surgery or have recently been sick, as their immune systems can be temporarily weakened. Regular disinfecting with an EPA-registered disinfectant will help keep dangerous bacteria at bay and eliminate lingering odors.
Before disinfecting, however, it's important to clean the surfaces so that the disinfectant can be applied properly. Popular household cleaners and laundry detergents won't eliminate tough stains and odors left behind by your dog, and some products may contain toxic chemicals or substances which can irritate your dog's sensitive nose. Simple Green Bio Dog Stain & Odor Remover is a formula that eliminates stains and odor. It lifts new, old and set-in stains and quickly eliminates odors from animal waste, blood, vomit, grass, mud and more.
Directions For Cleaning a Dog Kennel
The kennel cleaning process can be stressful for animals, due to noise, foreign odors and confusing activities around an area with which they're otherwise familiar. Before cleaning, you should remove them from the area.
- Clear area. Remove any gross buildup or physical matter before cleaning.
- Apply product. Spray full-strength Simple Green Bio Dog directly on the surface.
- Wait. Allow the product to sit wet on the surface for about 10-15 minutes (but don't allow it to dry or it becomes more difficult to remove.) This enables the good bacteria to digest much of the odor-causing organic matter.
- Scrub. Scrubbing with a soft bristle brush or non-abrasive scrubbing pad provides agitation that will help to loosen any buildup and will ensure a thoroughly clean, residue-free surface.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Dry with a clean microfiber pad, non-abrasive cloth, or paper towels.