We love our dogs - sometimes so much that we can't even bear to kick them off the couch when they join us for a Netflix binge session.
No matter how much you try to avoid it, pet odor comes with the territory when you have pets - especially dogs. Although many breeds clean themselves, they don't do it as often - or as thoroughly - as cats. They are also going on walks, tagging along on hikes and maybe going to the bathroom outside much more often, opening them up to a variety of dirt, mud and bacteria.
To minimize general stinkiness, make sure you're bathing and brushing your pet regularly. You can also wipe your dog's paws after he or she has been outside.
If you're in the middle of housetraining, your dog has a bad habit, or your dog is trying to tell you that something is wrong, your main offender is probably urine odor.
Ammonia tops the list of cleaning methods to avoid to get dog urine out of your couch. Urine already smells like ammonia, so it will only make that pungent stench worse. Both bleach and hydrogen peroxide tend to brighten surfaces as they clean, so they may not be the best choice for colorful couches.
Other commonly used cleaning products, like dish soap or white vinegar, may remove urine stains, but may only mask the pet urine smell temporarily. This may entice your dog or another pet to re-mark that spot even after it's been cleaned.
Whether you're working to get dog pee out of the couch or trying to get it to smell a little less like a dog bed, Simple Green Bio Dog Stain & Odor Remover permanently eliminates tough stains and removes odors. The stain remover uses powerful natural bacteria to eat away at the organics in pet soils and break down unpleasant odors at the source.
Directions for Removing Dog Smell from a Couch:
Assure color-fastness and surface compatibility by spot-testing on a small inconspicuous area first before making a full application. Remove any solid soil and blot up excess liquid. Shake spray bottle gently.
- Take everything off your couch. Take the pillows and cushions off, if you are able to. Even further, remove the cushion covers, if you can, and wash as usual.
- Vacuum. Use your vacuum's upholstery attachment to grab loose hair and dirt on the surface, under cushions and on the arms and sides.
- Clean the area. Spray soiled areas with Simple Green Bio Dog and let it dry on the surface. For more intense stains, saturate the area with the cleaning solution and cover it with a clean cloth or paper towel and a weight, like the product bottle. Leave it for 4 to 5 hours.
- Repeat. If necessary, repeat until the stains are gone.
- Air dry. Once the area is dry, brush upholstery to help it return to its original texture.