If not properly maintained, dog beds can be a problem area in the home. Dirty paws, drool, urine, feces and shedding hair can quickly lead to a stinky, dirty resting place for your pet.
You should wash your dog's bed every week or two, depending on your dog's activity level. Dog beds often have removable covers with foam inserts, while polyfill, polyester or stuffed varieties of dog beds can be machine-washed whole.
Popular household cleaners and laundry detergents won't eliminate tough stains and odors left behind by your dog, and some products may contain toxic chemicals or substances which can irritate your dog's sensitive nose. Simple Green Bio Dog Stain & Odor Remover is people, pet and surface safe, with a non-toxic formula that eliminates stains and odor. It lifts new, old and set-in stains and quickly eliminates odors from animal waste, blood, vomit, grass, mud and other pet messes that make their way into your dog's bed.
Before cleaning, remove as much dog hair as possible off the material. Use your vacuum hose and an upholstery attachment or a hair-removal brush. Check dog bed care instructions on label before cleaning. Spot test a small hidden area before use.
Light Cleaning / Spot Cleaning:
- Apply cleaner. Spray entire surface of dog bed with Simple Green Bio Dog. For heavy soils, stains or strong odors, spray the product directly onto affected areas. Allow the cleaner to remain on the soiled/stained area and cover it with clean, damp cloth or terry towel.
- Let sit. Let it sit like this for 4-5 hours for the active Bio Dog enzymes to work, eliminating odors and soils at the source. If necessary, blot visible stains with a damp cloth or towel. Repeat this process until stain is gone.
- Let dry. Allow the product to remain on the surface, and prevent your pet from using the bed until it is completely dry. If the cover was removed, replace the cover.
Washing Machine Cleaning:
- Remove the cover. If the dog bed cover is removable, remove the cover completely.
- Spot Treat. Spray Simple Green Bio Dog directly onto stained and soiled areas. Allow product to remain on soiled/stained area for approximately 20 minutes.
- Wash. Put the cover and dog bed in the washing machine. Launder as normal.
- Let dry. Prevent your pet from using the bed until it is completely dry. If the cover was removed, replace the cover.
Tip: Bathing your dog regularly will help prevent the spread of odors and soils to the dog bed and your home.