How to Clean a Car Dashboard
Many people don't think to clean up their car's interior as often as they may wash the exterior. The inside isn't exposed to the same elements as the outside, but your dashboard is arguably the first part of the interior you and your passengers see. It's naturally where the eye is drawn upon getting in the car, but it also has plenty of nooks, crannies, and buttons where dust, dirt, and oils can accumulate.
A good number of car detailers believe the best way to clean a car dashboard is to use a special dashboard cleaner, but many of these are formulated with chemicals that may be toxic. This is not ideal for an area so heavily touched by you and your passengers. Additionally, some silicone-based cleaners can stain dashboards yellow over time.
Whether it be annoying dirt and dust or sticky coffee splatters, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner is perfect for cleaning the various areas on your dashboard. It's gentle enough to handle loose dirt and debris, but strong enough to wipe away leftover rings in the cup holders and smudgy oils from dirty hands.
Directions for Cleaning a Car Dashboard:
If you're unsure about how Simple Green will affect your dashboard, be sure to spot test before cleaning.
- Vacuum. Vacuum the entire dashboard with a soft brush attachment.
- Mix your Simple Green solution. Dilute about one ounce of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner with one cup of water in a spray bottle.
- Apply to your cloth. Spray your solution onto a clean microfiber cloth and wipe on. Work in small sections to help ensure the product doesn't dry on the surface before being damp wiped with water to rinse.
- Use a small brush to clean dashboard knobs. You can use a vent and dash brush or an old toothbrush. Run this brush over the dashboard knobs, air vents, radio, and any other crevices where dust and dirt may have gotten left behind.
- Wipe down surrounding areas. Don't forget your steering wheel, dash cover, gear shift and center console. Spray your Simple Green solution directly into dirty cup holders and let it soak for a few minutes. Then soak up the cleaning product with a towel and wipe out any gunk.
- Rinse with clean water. Rinse each cleaned area by wiping with a clean, damp microfiber or non-abrasive cloth.
- Dry. Use a clean cloth or paper towels to wipe the entire surface one more time.
- Repeat if necessary. For any particularly gunky spots or stains, reapply your Simple Green and wipe the area down again.
TIP: Do not apply Simple Green to TFT LCD (thin film transistor liquid crystal display) screens if you have one or more in your dashboard. These should only be cleaned with a microfiber and plain lukewarm water.