There's no end to the types of stains and spots that end up on your car upholstery throughout the lifespan of your vehicle. Those late-for-work coffee spills, ice cream drips from excited kids, spots from long-forgotten French fry grease and all kinds of dirt quickly turn into set-in stains on your car seats. And the longer you wait to clean them, the harder they get to remove.
Upholstery stains are almost inevitable when you're carting kids around. Messes on your cloth or fabric car seats almost always happen while you're driving, so you don't have the chance to clean them up until later. Those mysterious spots linger on the back seats, only to be discovered when you remove their car seat completely, which doesn't happen often.
Cleaning your car seats with home-remedy solutions such as vinegar or bleach can leave behind strong odors or even discolor or damage the fabric.
Even though it is recommended that you treat a stain as soon as it occurs, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner does the hard work for you in removing stains that may have dried into your fabric upholstery.
Directions for Cleaning Cloth Seats in the Car:
If you're unsure about how Simple Green will affect your car seats, be sure to spot test before cleaning.Spot Cleaning
- Vacuum. Quickly vacuum the car interior to remove dirt and crumbs sitting on the surface.
- Wet the surface. Lightly spray the upholstery with water to help the Simple Green penetrate dirt and make it easier to wipe clean. Take extra care not to oversaturate the seats with water or cleaner throughout the process.
- Apply full strength Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner. Spray on and allow the product to soak in for 60 seconds. Work on one seat or area at a time – try not to let the cleaner dry on the surface.
- Scrub if necessary. Scrubbing with a soft bristle scrub brush or non-abrasive scrubbing pad provides agitation that will help to loosen soils and will ensure a thoroughly clean, residue-free surface.
- Rinse with clean water. Rinse by wiping with a damp microfiber towel or non-abrasive cloth.
- Allow to air dry. Do not sit on or use the treated area until it is completely dry.
- Repeat if necessary.
Carpet Cleaning Machine
- Vacuum. Quickly vacuum the seats to remove dirt and crumbs sitting on the surface.
- Mix your Simple Green solution. Mix a 1:10 dilution of Simple Green and water in your carpet cleaning machine.
- Apply the cleaning solution onto the seats in sections.
- Agitate the stains. Gently brush or scrub the area (a soft nylon brush works best).
- Extract. Use the carpet cleaning machine and clean water to extract dirt. If necessary, add a small amount of white vinegar to reduce foaming in the recovery tank.
- Allow cleaned area to completely dry. Do not sit on or use the treated areas until they are completely dry.
- Repeat if necessary.
Heavy soils may require repeated application.
Do not allow Simple Green solution to dry onto upholstered surfaces. If residues are allowed to dry onto the surface, use vinegar or a hydrogen peroxide and baking soda solution to remove. Do not use Simple Green on leather seats.
If you aren't sure if Simple Green is compatible with a specific upholstery, contact the item's manufacture for confirmation.