HOW TO REMOVE SMOKE STAINS
Whether you have smoke stains because of small mishaps with closed fireplace flues, candles, BBQ smoke, heaters or small house fires, they all present the same problem - unsightly discoloration and oily residue. This is especially true of nicotine stains from cigarette smoking. These stains can also fill the affected area with a smoke smell that lasts for weeks after the damage has been done.
Smoke particles are known as soot or char, which is the carbon residue that remains after a fire. Ranging from a light grey to black charcoal in color, soot may appear as a dry powder or as an oily film. Soot particles are highly acidic, cling to walls and smudge easily, so improper cleaning can make stains worse.
Smoke and soot stains on your walls not only look bad, but they pose a serious health risk. Since the leftover particles are so small, it's possible to accidentally breathe them in, where they can then enter your bloodstream.
Avoid cleaning walls with harsh cleaning agents, as they can leave a harmful residue behind. Trisodium phosphate (TSP) may dull glossy surfaces, and require you to wear gloves and other protective equipment.
It's important to use a cleaning solution that will clean smoke stains without discoloring or diminishing the surface underneath. Whether you need to remove barbecue smoke stains from walls outside, clean candle smoke stains off walls indoors or clean smoke stains off your brick fireplace, non-abrasive Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner is a cleaner, degreaser, stain remover and deodorizer that easily removes stubborn stains and odors on washable surfaces. Plus, there's no need to wear rubber gloves or other protection, as the formula won't leave any harmful residue behind.
Directions for Removing Smoke Stains from Walls
- Remove soot from walls. Wipe away or vacuum up any excess soot left on the surface.
- Mist with water. Lightly spray the surface before cleaning.
- Apply Simple Green. Spray full strength Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner on all affected areas on brick, stone, metal or plastic. For cleaning painted walls, spray Simple Green on a damp soft bristle scrub brush or non-abrasive scrubbing pad.
- Scrub. Agitate the stained area with your brush or scrubbing pad.
- Rinse with water. Spray clean, warm water onto the cleaned area or wipe down with a damp towel.
- Dry. Allow to air dry, or wipe with dry towel.
Heavy soils may require repeated application.