- An old toothbrush or soft bristle brush (optional)
- Washing machine
Dishwasher-safe plastic lunch boxes, bento boxes, and fabric insulated kids lunch boxes are a modern marvel, taking a beating while protecting what you've packed.
Whether your kids are a fan of the classic metal lunchbox or more modern types, spilled drinks and accumulated food grime will result in sticky, smelly messes that require attentive cleaning and deodorizing. A metal or plastic lunch box will need to be hand-washed, but you can almost always clean a fabric lunch box by throwing it in the washing machine.
Whether you're looking to clean the outside of a lunch box, deodorize the inside, or a little bit of both, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner works to clean, degrease, deodorize, and remove stains without harmful chemicals*. The clean-rinsing formula does not leave behind a residue, so you don't have to worry about tasting soapy residue on your food.
Directions for Cleaning Lunch Boxes:
- Prepare your sink. Fill the sink with warm water and add a ¼ cup of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner.
- Wash. Moisten a sponge or soft cloth with the cleaning mixture and wipe the interior and exterior of the lunch box. If it can be submerged in water, place it in the water and scrub entirely, focusing on problem areas.
- Scrub, if necessary. For heavier grime buildup, especially in cracks and crevices, use an old toothbrush or soft bristle brush to remove gunk & grime.
- Rinse and dry. Rinse with clean water and dry with a towel or paper towel. If the lunchbox is insulated, make sure the insulation is completely dry before reusing. A hair dryer can help here, especially if the box is metal.
Washing Machine (fabric or insulated lunch boxes)
While most fabric and insulated lunch bags can be put in the washing machine, some won't hold up to the agitation. Be sure to check the care tag inside the lunch box if you're unsure about machine washing.
- Start your washing machine. Set your washer to the smallest load size on a gentle cycle with cold water.
- Add Simple Green. Add ¼ cup of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner to the water-filled washer.
- Air dry completely. After the wash cycle is done, air dry the lunch box (do not put it in the dryer). If the lunchbox is insulated, make sure the insulation is completely dry before reusing.
*Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner
is an EPA Safer Choice product. You can learn more about how each ingredient has been reviewed by EPA toxicologists for health, safety, and environmental compliance here.