How to Clean Kids' High Chairs
Babies have a special knack for making messes, especially at mealtime, often leaving more food on and around their highchairs than they eat. Cleaning up sticky food residue, spilled formula or breast milk, spit-up and even diaper leaks is common at each meal, but the buildup of smaller spills or missed messes can cause stains, discoloration and foul odors. A weekly deep-cleaning schedule is important to keeping your child's high chair in good condition.
Parents often use disinfecting wipes that contain alcohol or bleach that can damage, discolor and dry out plastic and vinyl. Other popular cleaning products can also contain harsh chemicals that can be toxic or irritating to skin. Over time, they can also leave behind a toxic residue on the surface of the high chair, which is likely to come into contact with your child or their food.
Simple Green Naturals Multi-Surface Care is a safer, alternative to commonly found harsh, synthetic chemicals, offering a non-toxic formula made from 100% naturally-sourced ingredients. It doesn't leave behind a toxic residue that can get onto your child's hands or food.
Don't forget to clean your child's high chair straps as well using this tip.
Before cleaning, check the high chair Owner's Manual for specific care instructions.
- Detach removable parts. Detach the food tray before cleaning.
- Remove cushion and loose crumbs. If your child's high chair has a seat cushion or backing pad, remove them to clean the chair beneath. Wipe out dirt and crumbs with a cloth, or remove them with a handheld vacuum attachment. These pads can also be cleaned using the steps below.
- Apply cleaner. Spray Simple Green Naturals Multi-Surface Care on the high chair surface, or on a microfiber cloth to wipe-apply.
- Scrub. For visible soils and hard to reach areas, use a nylon-bristled brush or toothbrush to scrub away the dirt.
- Rinse. Rinse with water or damp-wipe the entire high chair.
- Dry and reassemble. Using a dry cloth, dry the high chair, tray and cushion/backing pad, and reassemble/reattach.
Available at these and other local stores: